St. Bride's Church & Presbytery

East Kilbride, Scotland

St. Bride's Church & Presbytery

East Kilbride, Scotland

The starting point for Stallan-Brand was the commission and completion of a detailed feasibility study to outline the methodology and costs for the restoration of St. Bride’s Church, Presbytery and Chapel House to their original condition. Designed in 1957 by Professors Andy MacMillan and Isi Metzstein of Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, the Church is a Scottish interpretation of the brutalist style of 1960’s architecture. St. Bride’s is regarded as one of the finest examples of British twentieth century ecclesiastical architecture, receiving the RIBA bronze medal for architecture in 1964. The expressionistic design of the exterior of St. Bride’s is enhanced by the dramatic chiaroscuro effect of the interior, which has Baroque overtones.

Summary

Restoration of Grade A Listed St. Bride's Church 

Location

East Kilbride, Scotland 

Size

Church: 871m²

Presbytery: 424m² 

Client

Diocese of Motherwell 

Status

Completed 2016

 

The starting point for Stallan-Brand was the commission and completion of a detailed feasibility study to outline the methodology and costs for the restoration of St. Bride’s Church, Presbytery and Chapel House to their original condition.

Designed in 1957 by Professors Andy MacMillan and Isi Metzstein of Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, the Church is a Scottish interpretation of the brutalist style of 1960’s architecture. St. Bride’s is regarded as one of the finest examples of British twentieth century ecclesiastical architecture, receiving the RIBA bronze medal for architecture in 1964. The expressionistic design of the exterior of St. Bride’s is enhanced by the dramatic chiaroscuro effect of the interior, which has Baroque overtones.